Worldroots.com

Brigitte's Pages

What's New
Site Map

Search
Engines

Main Page
Surnames
Research

Germany
Baden
Bavaria
Wuerttemberg

Royalty

Poets
Philosophers ...
Movers+Shakers
Entertainers

v. Stauffenberg
v. Wuerttemberg
v. Castell
v. Helfenstein

Popes
Cardinals
Saints

Family Search
Archives, etc.
Diaries

Argentina
South America

Fine Art

Russian
Impressionism
 
 
 

Donations
TUEBINGEN

Houses along the Neckar River and the old Town Wall which date back to the l3th century.

The University was founded in 1477. Three generations of the RENZ family studied and received degrees here in the 1500s. Two generations of the WOLFHARDT family attended and received degrees in 1500-1605. Johann Wolfhardt received a scholarship and (as we have read) any of his descendants are now eligible to attend the University.
During the time of their attendance, the treaty of Tuebingen was written which for the first time in Continental Europe lists basic human rights and in the ,,Magna Carta" of the time. By 1547 Tuebingen had achieved worldwide scholarly renown.

Hoelderlin Tower

The oldest portions of the Hoelderlin House were part of the medieval town fortifications. The town Wall and the bailey wall forming the town's northern and southern boundaries, as well as the base of a fortifying tower, are presumed to date back to the l3th century.
Friedrich Hoelderlin (1774 - 1843) lived in the tower from 1907 until his death. Hoelderlin had first studied Theology in the Stift from 1769-1793. His works include hymns, odes, elegien and even a novel, but he seemed out of touch with reality and struck the modern layman as being rather difficult to understand.

Burse

The Student Dormitories, which date from 1477. Students lived here and studied Grammar, Dialectice, Rhetoric, Arithmethic, Geometry, Astronomy and Music. After completing this, the student was a Magister Artium (Master of Arts) and could continue with Medicine, Law or Theology. (Our ancestors continued with Theology.)
The top part has been remodeled, but the old stones remain. The old steps lead down to the Neckar River.

Old Hall (Alte Aula)

This was built in 1547 on the site of the Sapienz that had burnt down three year's previously. To celebrate the three hundredth anniversary of the founding of the University it was rebuilt in 1777.
It was originally a half-timbered building like most of the houses in the Old Town, but after rebuilding it received an Italian roof, a symmetrical facade and a symbolically decorated balcony with two crossed sceptres symbolising the university. The coat of arms of Wuerttemerg was added above them on the gables.
In earlier times grain was stored under the roof as part of the professors salaries. The rooms on the upper floors were used for merry-making and the meetings of commissions and faculties. As this was the university's most important building the Senate also sat here. On the lower floors were the university archives, lecture theatres and libraries.
Some of our our ancestors would have participated in the lectures held on the first floor or maybe even the merry-making on the second floor.


STEINSBERG CASTLE

Georg Johann Wolfhardt left his family here during the 30 year War (1618-1648) when he went out to the surrounding towns to serve as their pastor.
From the history: ,,After the occupation of the Palatine villages, he remained the only Lutheran minister (in the area) and he looked after the small ruined villages. He lived partly in Duehren, partly at the Steinsberg Castle, or in Sinsheim where he found refuge from the bands of roaming soldiers behind the fortress walls. He made his way to the village parishes in constant danger because of the always wild-roving soldiers and the pestilence. He became known by the nickname, ,,The Travelling Schoolmaster" or the "Itinerant Pastor of Duehren."


In the courtyard there is currently a mock-up of the castle as it was in the 1600s.

This shows the buildings where the people lived. We could imagine the women cooking and gossiping and the children sneaking up the rickety stairs to the Tower and the men keeping watch for marauding soldiers.

Mariam Cheshire's Entrance to Steinsberg Castle, 15th century walls.
lt is said that the poet Spervogel lived here in the l2th century and that sometimes one can hear his love songs.

The huge old tree that, centuries later, still stands guard near the entrance to Steinsberg Castle.


DUEHREN


Evangelische Kirchengemeinde Duehren, from 1494.

On the wall of the Church, there is a framed list of names of the pastors who have been at this church since 1494. Pastor Johann Wolfhardt is shown in 1637.

Worldroots Home Page